Presidential vote counting started today morning at 11 A.M. The contest, between the ruling NDA’s Ram Nath Kovind and the Opposition’s Meira Kumar, both Dalits, saw nearly 99 per cent lawmakers and legislators cast their vote – the highest ever.
According to the news reported by NDTV today at around 4:30 P.M.
“Ram Nath Kovind wins the presidential election 2017. Mr. Kovind will become the 14th President of India. He defeated opposition candidate Meira Kumar after securing over two-thirds of the vote.”
The counting of votes was held under the supervision of the Lok Sabha secretary general Anoop Mishra, who is also the Returning Officer.
(Also Read: Fake Video went viral on Whatsapp, causes panic)
After his win, Narendra Modi Tweeted:
Congratulations to Shri Ram Nath Kovind Ji on being elected the President of India! Best wishes for a fruitful & inspiring tenure.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) July 20, 2017
Here are some facts that you need to know about Ram Nath Kovind!
1) Mr. Kovind, a Dalit, is a farmer’s son and is known for his humble origins and simple lifestyle.
2) Born on October 1, 1945, in Kanpur Dehat, Ram Nath Kovind is a commerce graduate. He pursued law from Kanpur University.
3) Mr. Kovind practiced in the Delhi High Court and Supreme Court for more than 15 years.
4) He is married to Savita Kovind and has a son and a daughter.
5) Mr. Kovind is the former president of BJP Dalit Morcha. He has also served as the BJP’s national spokesperson.
6) He was also a two-time Rajya Sabha member from the state of Uttar Pradesh between 1994-2000 and 2000-06.
7) Mr. Kovind had worked as a top aide to former Prime Minister Morarji Desai and has represented India at the United Nations in New York.
8) He has also been a member of several Parliamentary Committees, including the Committee on Welfare of Scheduled Castes/Tribes, Social Justice and Empowerment, and Law and Justice.
9) He was appointed as the Governor of Bihar by the Centre three years ago. The septuagenarian became the 36th Governor of Bihar in August 2015. His appointment had surprised many state leaders and Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had voiced his displeasure over not being consulted. Though, during his term in Bihar, Governor Kovind hadn’t run into no controversy with Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.
10) If elected, he will be the second Dalit President after KR Narayanan to hold the nation’s highest office.
Get all Information and phone numbers about Durgapur here.
Read more news about Durgapur here.
Subscribe to regular news updates on Whatsapp.
Whatsapp “Add me” and send it to +918240641930