Durgapur is a major industrial city located in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is categorized as a tier -II city and is a Municipal Corporation under the Paschim Bardhaman District.
The City of Durgapur is the fourth-largest urban agglomeration in West Bengal after Kolkata, Asansol and Siliguri.
Durgapur City is nicknamed as the Ruhr of Bengal. It is also known as the Steel city of West Bengal because of presence of one of India’s major steel plant, the “Durgapur Steel Plant (DSP)”.
Durgapur Basic Facts
What is Durgapur famous for?
Durgapur is famous for its industries. Some of India’s top steel plants like ‘Durgapur Steel Plant‘ and ‘Alloy Steel Plant‘ are located here.
The prestigious ‘National Institute of Technology, Durgapur‘ is also present here. The city also has one of India’s top research centers, the Central Mechanical Engineering and Research Institute (CMERI).
You can know more about what Durgapur is famous for in this article: 5 things Durgapur is known for all across India
How far is Durgapur from Kolkata?
Durgapur is located at a distance of about 171 kilometers from Kolkata, the capital city of West Bengal.
A lot of buses and trains run between Durgapur and Kolkata. It takes about 3 hours to reach Kolkata from Durgapur.
DURGAPUR LATEST NEWS
- Durgapur barrage to remain closed for 6 days January 22, 2022
- Aadhaar Authentication History – How to check & Download PDF January 16, 2022
- PM Kisan Yojana Apply Online – New Farmer Registration 2022 January 15, 2022
- Some services at DSP Hospital will not be available for 15 days January 15, 2022
- PM Kisan Status Check (for Self-Registered farmers) online 2022 January 14, 2022
- Check COVID Precaution (Booster) Dose eligibility in India 2022 January 10, 2022
- Change in timings of all markets in Durgapur with new restrictions January 8, 2022
- List of newly identified containment zones in Durgapur January 8, 2022
- How to Check (Track) Passport Status Online in India 2022 January 6, 2022