You need a valid driving licence to drive a vehicle in India. To get a driving licence, you can apply for it online or offline through the Regional Transport Office (RTO) of your state.
The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways of the Government of India has made it easier to apply for a Driving Licence (DL) online in India through the official website of Parivahan at parivahan.gov.in.
In this article, you will get to know the following points about how to apply for a driving licence in India,
Let’s see each of these points in detail.
Details required to apply for a Driving Licence online in India
You will need the following documents or details to apply for a Driving Licence in India
- A valid Learner’s Licence.
- Address proof
In case your learner licence has expired. You can renew it online using the process provided in the article below.
Fees required to apply for a Driving Licence online in India
The fees* for your Driving Licence application are,
|Driving Licence (per vehicle class)||Rs. 200|
|DL Test||Rs. 300|
*Subject to change
Steps to apply for a Driving Licence (DL) online in India
To apply for your driving licence online,
Step 1: Go to the official website of Parivahan Sarathi
- First, go to the official website of Parivahan at parivahan.gov.in
- Next, click on “Online Services” and select “Driving Licence Related Services” from the drop down.
- Select your state.
- A new page will open up.
Step 2: Open the Driving Licence (DL) application page
- On the dashboard, click on the “Driving Licence” option on the main menu.
- Next, click on the “New Driving Licence” option.
- Next, click on the ‘Continue’ button.
- The “Application For Driving Licence(DL)” page will open. Select the ‘Holding Learners Licence’ option.
- Next, enter your Learner’s Licence Number and Date of Birth.
- Next, click on the ‘Ok’ button.
Step 3: Fill out the DL application form
- Your driving license application form with pre-filled details will open.
- Next, select the vehicle class for which you are applying by selecting and clicking on the arrow.
- Next, fill in the checkboxes as applicable.
- Next, click on the ‘Submit’ button.
- Next, click on the ‘Ok’ button on the popup.
Your Driving Licence application number will be generated and displayed on the screen. You can note down or save this number for future reference. You can also search this application number later.
In case you have chosen any option other than LL details, fill out the form accordingly.
Step 4: Upload documents
- Now, click the ‘Next’ button and then click on the ‘Proceed’ button.
- Your application number and date of birth will be automatically filled out. Click on the ‘Submit’ button.
- Next, click on the ‘Ok’ button.
- Next, upload all the required documents, such as the Learner’s Licence, Address Proof, and medical certificate (if applicable).
- Next, click on the ‘Next’ button.
Step 5: Pay fees online
- Now, make sure the ‘FEE PAYMENT’ option is selected and click on the ‘Proceed’ button.
- You will see the details of the fees that you need to pay to apply for a driving license.
- Next, choose your preferred payment gateway and enter the captcha code.
- Next, click on the ‘Pay Now’ button.
- Next, accept the terms and click on the ‘Proceed for Payment’ button.
- Complete the payment process and take a printout or save the receipt for future reference.
Step 6: Book an appointment and visit RTO
- Now, make sure the ‘DL TEST SLOT BOOKING’ option is selected and click on the ‘Proceed’ button.
- Next, click the ‘Proceed to Book’ button.
- Next, select your preferred slot and click on the ‘Book Slot’ button.
- Next, click on the ‘Confirm to Book Slot’ button.
Your slot will be booked. (Check the detailed slot booking process)
You can also print or save your slot confirmation slip for future reference.
Now you need to visit the RTO on the selected date with all the original documents and fee receipts. You need to take a practical driving test under the supervision of an RTO officer. If you pass the test, you will get your driving licence. If you fail, you can reapply after seven days.
By following these steps, you can easily apply for a driving licence online in India.
In case you want to renew your expired driving licence, you can do it online too using the official website of Parivahan.
Find more Central Govt Scheme
- How To Register On Vahan NR e-Services Portal Online 2023
- Driving Licence Test Slot Booking Online Process 2023
- How To Lock And Unlock Your Aadhaar Biometrics Online 2023
- How to Search Voter ID By Name Online In India (Any State) 2023
- Cancel Aadhaar Update Request Online Process 2023
- How To Change Date of Birth (DOB) In Driving Licence Online 2023
Disclaimer: The Information provided above is for educational purposes only. The images used are for representative purposes only.